|South American Gemini Data Workshop|
August 31, 2011: deadline
for registration, application for financial support, and hotel
Second CircularOctober 25, 2011
This circular includes some practical information on (1) laptop computers; (2) banking and currency; (3) transportation to Faro Hotel; (4) hotel reservation; (5) registration desk; (6) welcome reception; (7) parking at the hotel. Special attention to items 1, 2, and 4 is required.
(1) Laptop computers
We remind that for the practical sessions of data reduction it is necessary that all participants bring their own laptop computers with the software and the data described below already installed. The LOC will have 5 extra laptops to be used by those who are unable to bring their own.
- The necessary software is IRAF Version 2.14.1, Gemini package Version 1.10 and Version 1.11beta2, and the associated external packages. Note that Version 1.11beta2 is necessary for the GNIRS practical sessions. Information on installing and using both Gemini package versions can be found at the attached document .
- The data that will be used in the practical sessions can be downloaded from the SAGDW webpage under "Tutorial Data".
- AC power plugs and sockets: in the conference room
there will be power sockets to all participants. The hotel informed
that there will be sockets of the current Brazilian standard and also
of a former model commonly used
(2) Hotel Reservation
Your credit card has been required only to guarantee your reservation at Faro Hotel. Your hotel expenses will be charged at the hotel check-out and you may use your preferred method of payment (cash or credit card). Your credit card will be charged only if you cannot attend the meeting and do not have canceled your reservation two days in advance.
(3) Banking and Currency
We advise people from abroad arriving at Guarulhos airport and heading directly to São José dos Campos to exchange money for the Brazilian currency, Real, at the airport. The banks below are situated at the ground (landing) floor:CONFIDENCE CÂMBIO: Passenger Terminal 2 - wing C
BANCO SAFRA: Passenger Terminal 2 - wing C
BANCO SANTANDER: Passenger Terminal 1 - wing A
(4) Transportation to Faro Hotel
- For participants arriving by airplane, the meeting point is in front of Balloon Café, located in the ground (landing) floor of Terminal 2, wing C. Gislene Yoko (11-92801816) will coordinate the gathering of all people for taking the bus from "LineTour" company (list of confirmed passengers attached). As many participants will arrive around 14h and most will arrive before 17h, the departure time of this bus will be between 17h30 and 18h on Oct 26.
- In Rio de Janeiro, the van from "Empresa Moita Turismo" will depart at 13h30 on Oct 26 from the main access of Observatório Nacional. Marcelo Borges (21-75625803) is in charge of coordinating the departure from Rio.
My flight delayed and I missed the bus. What can I do?
You may take the bus from "Pássaro Marron"
company that makes the trip direct from the airport to the bus station
in São José dos Campos or to the bus station in
São Paulo (Terminal Rodoviário Tietê)
and then take a bus to SJdC. Tickets for these buses can be bought in
the airport at the counter of the "Aiport Bus Service" located in the
sidewalk of the landing floor at Terminal 2. The trip to SJdC will take
about 1h30min and costs R$16.30. The departure times from GRU to SJdC
on the afternoon of Oct 26 are: 17:30 18:30 20:00 22:00.
Upon arrival to the main bus station in SJdC you can take a taxi to the hotel. From the bus station to Faro Hotel the taxi fare is around R$10-15.00, on business days and R$20-25.00 (double charge) on weekends. For your convenience, we recommend deliver the address of the Hotel Faro written down to the taxi driver in São José dos Campos:Faro Hotel Rua Síria, 25
Jardim Osvaldo Cruz
(5) Registration Desk
The secretary of the meeting will open the registration on Wednesday, Oct 26th, from 18 to 20h30 and on Thursday, Oct 27th, from 8 to 9h in order to distribute the registration package. A registration fee of R$ 40.00 will be charged to all participants and must be paid in cash at the conference registration desk at the beginning of the event. Credit cards, personal checks and traveler's checks are not accepted.
(6) Welcome Reception
The Cocktail on Wednesday, Oct 26th, will be served at the Faro Hotel between 20h30 and 22h30. We will be very happy if everyone can participate in this moment of fraternization. For those not staying at the Hotel Faro but intend to attend the cocktail, we remind that an extra fee of R$ 35.00 per person will be charged. It must be paid directly to the hotel on the evening of 26th.
(7) Parking at Faro Hotel
Participants not staying at the Hotel Faro may use the hotel car park free of charge, simply reporting that they are participants of the workshop.
First CircularOctober 03, 2011
This circular includes some practical information on
(1) laptop computers, (2) poster presentation, (3) hotel reservation,
(4) local transportation. Special attention to items 1 and 4 is
Second AnnouncementAugust 19, 2011
American Gemini Data Workshop
A preliminary program is
now online at:
First AnnouncementJuly 29, 2011
The National Gemini Offices of Brazil, Argentina, and
Chile, together with the Gemini Observatory, are pleased to announce
the ‘South American Gemini Data Workshop’, to be
held in São José dos Campos, state of
São Paulo, Brazil, from October 27 to 30, 2011.
Confirmed speakers from the Gemini Observatory:
Those interested in attending are invited to register in the workshop Web site at:
The deadline for registration is August 31, 2011
Scientific and Local Committee:
—> Local Information
—> List of Participants
—> Group Photo
|Last Modified: November 16, 2011|